This is a great lunch box addition for the kids or after school snack. Or the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea. Wholesome and satisfying and quick and easy to make. What more could you want?
The recipe is from the Simply Natural Baby Food book by Cathe Olson. This is a great resource for mothers when they first start feeding their babies through the toddler years. She has tips about starting solids and general guidelines for the early years of feeding our children. A wonderful gift for new mothers.
- 1 cup whole wheat, brown rice, barley, or oat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup walnuts, minced or other nut if you prefer
- 1 cup raisins, minced
- 1 cup pitted prunes, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated orange or lemon peel (or both as my kids prefer!)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cp water
Optional-coconut flakes, 1 to 2 tbs ground flax
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease or line with parchment paper an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Mix flour, oats, salt and oil until evenly mixed.
- Mince nuts, raisins, prunes in a food processor. I throw them all in at once and let them mince together for a few minutes, easy and quick!
- Add them to the flour mixture along with the grated lemon or orange zest and 1/3 cup water.
- Mix the batter with a spoon or your hands.
- Add additional water as necessary to make batter hold together.
- Spread/press into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then let cool and cut into 16 squares.